Please support the Warm Remembrance Project
The Warm Remembrance Family Play Area project is a community effort to build a lasting memorial in Redwood Park in remembrance of the lives of John Riggins and Sabrina Gonsalves. Redwood Park was constructed the year Sabrina and John were born – 1962. When John began coming to the park in 1969, as part of the City of Davis summer program, there was a play structure there known as The Egg (picture below). It was the meeting place year round for neighborhood children, and when he attended the adjacent elementary school, The Egg was the first thing he saw as he headed for class each day. John ultimately grew up to become a summer program leader, and that is where he met his sweetheart, Sabrina.
Sabrina, welcomed by her sisters who were students at UC Davis, became a beloved member of the Davis community during the summer of 1978. She also became a leader in the summer program. She warmed the hearts of many children in this very same park with The (original) Egg still a prominent feature.
Sabrina and John are remembered by all who knew them, but especially by the children whose lives they enriched. Sabrina is fondly remembered for her devotion to others and endless compassion. John is lovingly remembered for his affable personality and the fun and games he brought to the playground each day.
This Warm Remembrance Family Play Area is being created to remember the joy and laughter Sabrina and John brought to so many. With generous community donations, the play area will include a number of features in their honor, including a New Egg – a symbol of rebirth and a promising, peaceful future.
The family, friends and the community which stretches far beyond Davis, whose lives were touched by John and Sabrina, and are greater for knowing them, invite you to be part of this effort. Please contribute to the Warm Remembrance Family Play Area project to help recreate for generations to come, the warmth and love that Sabrina and John created for so many.
How to donate and make a difference in our community!
Donate Online: Go to www.sacregcf.org, and follow these steps:
- Click on the words “Donate Now” and choose your donation amount.
- At the drop-down arrow, click on “Davis Recreation & Community Services Program Fund.”
- In the "Additional Comments" box below, please write in "Warm Remembrance Family Play Area."
- Then, complete the billing information and you’re done!
Donate By Mail: Please make checks payable to the “Davis Recreation & Community Services Program Fund”, include the purpose of the donation (Warm Remembrance Project) on the check and mail to either:
Yolo Community Foundation
Sacramento Region Community Foundation
Note: Contributions of $1,000 or more can be recognized at the site on playground equipment or a bench, for example, or in signage. Contributors at this level will be contacted at a later date to determine their preference.
Contributions to the Recreation & Community Services Fund are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. The City of Davis encourages donors to consult with their legal or tax advisor before making a gift.
Project Plan and Timeline
- January 15 ,2013: Project concept discussed informally at Davis City Council meeting - Complete.
- February 21, 2013: Staff report and project concept unanimously approved by the Davis Recreation & Park Commission and recommended to the Davis City Council - Complete.
- March 1, 2013: The "Davis Recreation & community Services Program Fund" created as part of the Sacramento Region Community Foundation. Tax-exempt donations can now be earmarked for the "Warm Remembrance Family Play Area" at www.sacregcf.org - Complete.
- March 7, 2013: Project web site posted on City of Davis web site - Complete.
- March 12, 2013: City Council reviewed project concept and Recreation & Park Commission recommendation and unanimously approved; Fundraising officially begun for a project to be located on City property - Complete.
- March 13, 2013: Publicity about the project began in regional media and through contact lists – Complete and ongoing.
- April-June 2013: Outreach to neighborhoods near Redwood Park, the Cesar Chavez Elementary School community, and other interested organizations – Complete and ongoing.
- June 25, 2013: Project added to City of Davis Capital Improvement Plan - Complete.
- September 21, 2013: Warm Remembrance Family Concert in the Park- Complete
- October 2013: Projected date for return to the Recreation & Park Commission with status of project fundraising and recommended specific project details; Discussion will also include how the Warm Remembrance project adheres to City "Park Amenity Donations" and "Naming City Facilities" policies.
- November 2013: Projected date for return to Davis City Council for final approval of project design and scope.
- December 31, 2013: Final deadline to receive donations.
- January-March 2014: project construction and installation begins.
- May 2014: Proposed Grand Opening of Warm Remembrance Family Play Area.
- May 15, 2014 - Recreation & Park Commission approved the revised conceptual plan for the Warm Remembrance Family Play Area, which will replace the outdated play structure in Redwood Park between the public restroom building and the Chavez Elementary School.
- July 1, 2014 - Davis City Council will review the updated design and take action on the project.
To view related information, click links provided below:
For more information about the Warm Remembrance project, call (530) 756-8119.
Our community has many outstanding facilities, programs and services available for local residents, but there is also much to be done to keep pace with ongoing needs.
Through a unique City partnership with the Yolo and Sacramento Region Community Foundations, you can now join other individuals, community organizations, and businesses in providing the financial support needed for a wide range of worthy causes such as parks and recreation facilities, adaptive recreation, community events, arts & culture, youth, and adult services.
When you donate to this community giving campaign, you will gain the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped your community become a better and stronger place for all. Your contribution is a long term investment that will not only help your neighbors and friends, but also preserve the richness of the community for many generations to come!
Requires Update: No